Lately, I've been thinking a lot about what I want to achieve. I have so many aspirations and goals, and I want to tackle them all at once. It can get a little overwhelming at times.
A couple of weeks ago as I was on my way to a meeting, I happened to walk past a pamphlet on setting goals. As I was waiting for the meeting on career development to begin (one of my many goals), I briefly skimmed through the pages to pass the time (and mostly, to look like I was occupied with something). As the lady walked into the room, I shoved the pamphlet into my bag and pretty much forgot about it.
The other day I went through my bag and gave it a second look. It's funny how we can hear, read, or even teach something a thousand times, but there are certain things, that no matter how many times you hear, read, or teach it, it still speaks to you. I've coached and guided hundreds of people through goal setting, but this time, it is just what I needed.
When I worked as a Health Coach for an insurance company, I helped clients who were struggling with health related issues such as diabetes, smoking, obesity, nutrition, exercise, sleep, etc. We discussed the importance of health and wellness and goal setting. In fact, we mapped out a "game plan" and set SMART goals. A smart goal is:
Specific: state what you are going to do, how, and why
Measurable: set specific steps or targets that chart and measure progress
Attainable/Achievable: set goals that are challenging yet still feel you can achieve it
Relevant: set goals that pertain directly to the challenge
Timely: set a clear stated timeframe (it must be measurable, attainable, and realistic)
I always have racing thoughts of goals going a million miles an hour in my head. Career goals, education goals, physical and wellness goals, family goals, etc. I think about what I would like to do, what I need to do, and how do I "get there"?
Re-reading this was a nice wake up call for me. I know this, I teach this, but I have not done it in a very long time.
So, here it is a.... My SMART goal:
S- My specific goal is to write out 3 SMART goals in the following 4 areas of my life so that I may stay focussed and on track. 1) Health/Wellness 2) Family 3) Financial 4) Career
M- I will measure my progress by posting one SMART goal from each category by Feb. 1st.
A- To achieve this goal, I will take one hour a day to think about and write out my goals.
R- I will write about my progress in my blog by Feb. 1st.
T- I will start writing out my 12 SMART goals tonight and tomorrow night for at least one hour, and will post one goal from each of the 4 category on February 1, 2011.
Wow... that was a little more challenging than I remembered. Now that I have a plan and I know what I have to do, here I go....
No comments:
Post a Comment