Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.
-Michael Jordan

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Strike a POSE.

Last weekend I was fortunate enough to attend the Pose Running Course by none other than Dr. Romanov himself!  Dr. Romanov is a two-time Olympic Coach, author, educator, and a sport scientist with over 30 years of experience specializing sport and fitness world, specifically with runners.

As soon as I got word that he was coming to CrossFit Fort Bragg, I jumped at the rare opportunity and signed up!  I was so excited to attend, not only for my own benefit of becoming a "better" runner, but also to coach others as well.

For 2 days, we learned concepts and drills, analyzed running technique, and practiced, practiced, practiced!... (Usually over a 30-50 meter distance).  

Boy, was I off in the beginning!  I had to totally forget what I thought I knew about running and be open and receptive to this "new" style of running.  

I wondered how this new found knowledge would apply and carry over into my longer distance runs.  I would like to share with you my first running experience utilizing the Pose Method.  I must admit, I was a little apprehensive about how I would feel; would I be winded, would my muscles fatigue, would I even be able to apply "pose, fall, pull" continuously for more than 30-50 meters?

I decided I would run my "usual" route and apply all that I learned from the past weekend just to answer these questions and compare the "before" and "after" as an experiment.  I did not try to run faster, I did not look at my watch.  I only tuned into my inner dialog of "1-2-3-4" and "pose, fall, pull", and off I went.  

About 1/4 mile into my run, I was pleasantly surprised to see that I was not winded like I thought I might be, (I thought that since I was doing something new, my heart rate would be higher).  So far so good.  Then into my fist mile, I noticed that I was in fact running at a faster pace with out even trying!  I was not winded, I was not fatigued in any way.  Normally, near the end of my route,  I would feel like I was struggling to maintain my pace and usually had to push myself to the end to keep the pace (especially when I was really trying to run fast).   
 
This time, it was different.  I was  shocked to find that I was running almost effortlessly.  

I am so happy to say that with out even trying to "run fast" or do anything other than focus on my technique, I finished my regular route of 2 miles a whole 2 minutes ahead of my "fast" pace with out even trying!  

I have never claimed to be a fast runner or even a great runner, I run because I really do enjoy it.  I now feel that I have the tools to become both and have a new found love for it as well.  

Thank you, Dr. Romanov for teaching me how to become better at something I already enjoy doing.  If anyone is interested on the Pose Method, please let me know, as I am now a "Pose Running Technique Specialist" and "CrossFit Running Certified".

BoohYah!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment